Wednesday 5 December 2012

A Gifted Dress


Well, it is soon christmas and every norwegian are supposed to use 10.000 norwegian kroner (about $1.800) on gifts, food and a lot of other things.

I have spent a lot of hours and some money on yarn for a baby dress and a hat to go with it. I prefer to think that handmade gifts are much better and the quality is very special. In fact, things that comes from the heart are priceless.

But, I always wonder why handmade gifts so often are accompanied with department store gifts.

We tend to create lovely things and then run off to the shop to buy one more thing. As if our handmade things are not good enough. I have done it myself a lot of times - and it is rather strange.

So back to that dress. It is knitted from the norwegian knitting book Strikk til nøstebarn. Knitted with double yarn it knits up faster than I thought.

I had to choose some rather neutral colors to be sure. But I took it out on the buttons. They made the dress stand out in spite of the color.

I knitted a little hat to go with it. I have ordered a tote with the name of the child on, to put it all in. I will show it off when it arrives. I really hope it will be used a lot.

So, what do you think? Should I run off to a store and buy some department store thing in addition? I think I will give this away thinking I have knitted my time, love and patience into it. And what more could I give?

The Stitch Story
Yarn: Sandnes garn Lanett held double
Needles: 4mm
Pattern for dress: Hel dress i dobbelt 2-tråds garn
Pattern for hat: Norwegian Sweet Baby Cap (also in english)
My Ravelry Page: Dress For A Girl


20 comments:

  1. Hvor er det lækkerier du har haft på pindene, du behøver ihvertfald ikke købe mere, skulle strik købes i butikkerne koster det jo en mindre formue, og så længe man ved at modtageren værdsætter flot håndarbejde er det da slet ikke nødvendigt at købe mere smukke knapper du har valgt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nydelig dress og lue, tøft med de knappene! Jeg mener at denne dressen og lua er en gave nok i seg selv, så mye omtanke og tid som er lagt ned i den! Heldige mottaker!! Fortsatt god advent til deg! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk Britt!! Ja, de knappene var helt topp til dressen. God advendt til deg også!!

      Delete
  3. Beautifully made Lone, it is a perfect gift as is and I just love your little hand made label. Give it with joy in your heart is all that is required. Hugs, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this makes the perfect gift. Made with love and care. Perfect as it is right now, so no need to buy 'shop-extra's', absolutely not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh so beautiful! love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the color and the splash of color from the buttons. I think a handmade gift is so precious and sharing your talent really shows it was made with love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ikke købe mere.Den er så fin.
    Knus Dorte

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lad endelig være med at gå ud og købe noget, for sættet der er da helt fantastisk og meget smukt i sig selv.
    Jeg er stor modstander af at "trække værdien ned" på håndlavede ting. De kan sagtens stå alene, hvis ellers modtageren har fortjent den :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lone, don't you buy anything else!!! This is so priceless and so precious! I love it! And, I love the color! I agree, handmade is the best and it is true, how so many of us, think we need to buy something to go along with our handmade items? Weird?? I am not doing that any more!!! Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sånne dresser er gull verdt! Det er vel det plagget vi brukte absolutt mest til babytiden, så heldige mottager! flotte farger og knapper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HOLA AMIGA, TUS TRABAJOS SON HERMOSO, TE FELICITO, QUE DIOS BENDIGA TU CREATIVIDAD.. AHORA TE SIGO, VISITAME PARA QUE VEAS LO QUE YO HAGO TAMBIEN MUY HUMILDEMENTE..!
    SIEMPRE SERAS BIENVENIDA..
    ZHOBEYD@....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment - it means a lot to me!!! Sorry about the robot words - it is due to loads of spam. Hope it is ok!!!